So far in our website building series we’ve talked about getting hosting for your website, how to choose a domain, and how to decide what kind of website you want to have. Well, we work at home moms definitely can’t gloss over the glue that holds all of those things together…choosing your niche!
In fact, you can’t very well choose a domain name if you don’t have your niche picked out. Also, the kind of website you want to build might be dependent on the niche you choose as well. You might find that a certain topic warrants a certain look or feel to your website.
There are many different factors that go into choosing a niche. Some people do quite well choosing something they are intimately familiar with or passionate about. In fact, that is what this website is for me. I’m very familiar with being a work at home mom, and I am passionate about sharing this kind of lifestyle with other moms.
Another person might be very passionate about everything to do with scrapbooking. I don’t know a single thing about scrapbooking, but you can do quite well with that niche! The point is that you really can earn a good income using the things you’re good at, really enjoy, or have a talent for.
You do need to be careful to make sure the niche will be a viable one for you. Just because you like underwater basket weaving does not mean other people do. Or, other people might like it, but they are not willing to spend any money on it.
Since you want to make money online, you need to choose a niche that people are spending money in. there is no need to create your own niche, all you have to do is get in front of the traffic/people who are spending money anyway, and get them into your own funnel.
This can all sound incredibly complicated, so here is a simple step by step you can use to find a great niche:
- Make a list of the things you enjoy and spend money on
- Make a list of the problems you spend money on (ex. acne, parenting problems, pet ownership problems
- Browse Magazines: If there is a magazine about it, people are spending money and are interested in it!
- Do some keyword research using Wordtracker’s free tool or sign up for Nichebot (my favorite because it gives you the best data that you can make money from). Make sure your niche has keywords that get a lot of traffic, and hopefully get low competition (that means you can easily target them)
- Make sure your possible niche has affiliate programs so you can make money
- Decide on a niche that you are interested in (because you’re going to invest a lot of time one it) and that can generate money for you.
That’s almost it! Way too many people make the mistake of choosing a niche that no one is spending any money in. For that reason, I want to reiterate that you need to be sure people are spending money before you start spending time on this.
Go to Clickbank.com and find your niche
Go to Amazon.com and find your niche
Go to eBay.com and find your niche
Are there products people are paying money for in any or all three of those places? Are there Google ads that pop up when you do a search in Google for your niche? If so, there is a good chance that people are actually spending money in your chosen niche, and that it’s a good one to go after for you work at home moms.
If you’re stuck, and don’t know where to get started, be sure to join my newsletter, and get two free eBooks I’ve written on how to succeed as a work at home mom!